As a student, the most exciting multimedia presentation that I created in elementary school was a Jeopardy game. I do not recall what the subject of the Jeopardy game was, but it was exciting creating an interactive presentation (via Powerpoint) based on one of my favorite television shows! My classmates and I even had an opportunity to share our Jeopardy games with each other.
Now, as a teacher, I have found many different ways to weave multimedia opportunities throughout my school day. Prior to the pandemic, I did not use technology to support my teaching as much as I do now. While we were fully virtual, the teachers of our district collaborated to create multimedia presentations to instruct our students in a virtual manner. We primarily used Google Slides, and within the slides, we integrated text, audio, clickable links, and videos. As we transitioned to hybrid teaching, I continued to use our multimedia presentations for both my "roomies" and "zoomies."
Now that we have returned to in person learning, I continue to use some of the Slides presentations. I don't use them as frequently as I did during the heart of the pandemic, but I do find that some lessons seem better conveyed via the Slides.
Here is an example of a Google Slides Presentation that I used last week focusing on the Zones of Regulation:
Another multimedia presentation that I created during the pandemic was a virtual classroom. It allowed students to click on different icons to give them information, lesson activities, and class and school resources. I updated it each week with new activities and resources for the kids and families to view and explore.
Within my classroom, I use videos quite often. These include online read aloud (for books that I don't own), quiet music for quiet time after recess/lunch, timers, etc. I also use GoNoodle videos for short brain breaks throughout each day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As2B151lzuU
Finally, my school district uses Clever as a way of sharing district-approved apps and learning resources with students. In my class, I mainly use Lexia Core 5 (for reading practice), Dreambox (for math practice), and occasionally PebbleGo (for science exploration).
In addition to using Google Slides for my instruction, I occasionally use them as an assessment tool as well. For math assessments throughout the year, I have slides that correlate with our district assessment questions. These were created to complete assessments virtually, however, they have been helpful for in person assessments as well.
Despite the usefulness of using multimedia presentations while teaching, there are a couple concerns that I have come across over the past few of years. First, if I rely on using Slides for my instruction, I need to have a reliable internet connection. Every once in a while, our district or my school experiences unexpected internet outages. This would directly impact my teaching, and I would have to scramble to find an alternative way of presenting the lesson.
My final concern is using the slides for our assessments. For example, if I show a given number of counting bear pictures on the slides and ask my students to count them vs. if I have the same number of physical counting bears in front of the student, more often, the kids more accurately count the physical counting bears rather than the images. Therefore, for some questions, I use the slides, and for some questions, I allow the students to view physical manipulatives.


Hi Allie, Great post this week! The Pandemic really forced all of use to learn new ways of teaching and learning, we all really have learned some great new apps to use in our classroom. I love your virtual classroom you created, really helps make the students feel like they are in the classroom. I defiantly agree that counting physical bears to images on a screen are easier for the students. I think there is a time and place for using slides for our assessments. Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteHi Allie! Thanks for sharing such a great post. I would also use a digital Jeopardy game to review for upcoming tests. My students loved how real the the game felt as I would project it on the smart board. I have to agree with Kristin that the pandemic probably forced many teachers to become more familiar with technology options...and quickly! I loved the website you created for your students. It provides such a fun way for students to connect with your class material. It is funny that you mentioned the concern of internet outages. For some reason, my school also had those same problems. It is something we need to consider when planning! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete